Author Topic: If we all stopped eating meat, animals would overpopulate  (Read 1744 times)

blackjohn

Then we'd hit them with our cars and they would die a much slower and painful death.

Sorry, it's just been bothering me for a long time.

sonsie

If we all stopped eating meat, animals would overpopulate
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 11:11 pm »
Your an idiot...

Loki

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 05:27 am »
That's not a very intelligent remark. I don't think I'll bother wit ha rubbutal. I'll leave someone else to do taht, or I'll let you try and work it out yourself.

jarrmcd

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 09:45 am »
Quote from: sonsie
Your an idiot...

i think it's sad that your rebutle to him is this. If he's such an idiot then why can't you think of a snappy witty comment. Don't call people idiots that's lame, and no one wants to be a lame ass.  :D

VegetarianPropaganda

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 10:58 am »
Especially don't call people idiots if you're going to use poor grammar in the process.

Factsheet

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 12:11 pm »
Thats very true...Common sense shows defects in "total animal liberation"...Overpopulation is one of the defects.

It takes an idiot to know an idiot, sonsie.

Offline mc

• Just because I can
  • Old Timer
  • an old fart
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 12:50 pm »
Then we'd hit them with our cars and they would die a much slower and painful death.

Being hit by a car would be the least of the animals "worries" starvation and disease would be the biggest killers.

mc
if you are correct and species is not a relevant  criteria to grant "rights" what is a relevant criteria to grant a right to any species ?

sonsie

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 11:10 pm »
Quote from: Factsheet
Thats very true...Common sense shows defects in "total animal liberation"...Overpopulation is one of the defects.

It takes an idiot to know an idiot, sonsie.

Must mean your an idiot and everybody who knows me is to, nice the worlds full of idiots.

Overpopulation? Naw they would lack food and die causing more suffering to animals can't overpopulate with no food to procreate.

Factsheet

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 12:28 am »
Ouch....Got me....That hurts on the inside...

Loki

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 08:25 am »
I don't really understand overpopulation: You see, the only animals that most people eat are cows, chickens and farmed animals. (exception to the rule is hunters & hunted meat: deer, pheasant, grouse, mouse etc) Anyways, if factory farming were to end, the cows wouldn't overpopulate, since they only actually exist becaus ethey're bred, and they couldn't breed themselves, since the cows are kept away from the bulls.

There may be some overpopulation regarding deer, but there probably will be hunters, and even without them, the deer would overpopulate, and then lack a source of food and end up starving anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem.

young1024

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 08:49 pm »
They wouldn't overpopulate. Remember, most animals eat other animals. It's "eat or be eaten".

ggallin13

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 06:03 pm »
Quote from: Loki
I don't really understand overpopulation: You see, the only animals that most people eat are cows, chickens and farmed animals. (exception to the rule is hunters & hunted meat: deer, pheasant, grouse, mouse etc) Anyways, if factory farming were to end, the cows wouldn't overpopulate, since they only actually exist becaus ethey're bred, and they couldn't breed themselves, since the cows are kept away from the bulls.

If factory farming were to end, who would keep the cows from the bulls?  If they were turned loose they would breed like mad and eventually revert back to the animal we started with--though they wouldn't last for near enough time.  With no predation, they would starve, spread disease, and suffer more than they would on any factory farm you've ever heard of.

Quote from: Loki
There may be some overpopulation regarding deer, but there probably will be hunters, and even without them, the deer would overpopulate, and then lack a source of food and end up starving anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Are you a PETA member?  Starving to death is a horribleway to die.  Why would you allow it if you could prevent it?  Or are you saying that ends justify the means, that is to say starving deer (unnecessarily although convenient) in the short term will benefit everyone in the long term?

moomoose

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 06:11 pm »
he's not a peta member.

Loki

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 02:13 am »
I'm not a PETA member. Starving to detah may be horrible, but shit happens, by dear friend.

And if I were a militant omnivore, I'd be criticising you right now for worrying baout the deer starving when there are many more superior humans starving in Africa, Cambodia etc.

Terribilis

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 10:47 am »
This is not necessarily true. This would only be true if their where NO OTHER PREDATORS AROUND TO pray on them. In a perfect balance the predators and pray keep each other in check. For instance you have a small population of lets say wolfs introduced to an area that has an abundant supply of deer. The wolfs start praying on the deer and start breeding well. This is turn creates more predators so the number of deer drop. When the number of deer drop a few things happen then some wolfs die (survival of the fittest yea now) or they move on to another area that's got allot of deer. In a perfect balance predator and pray populations go up and down naturally.
      Brian

* H$U$

Thinking of donating to H$U$?

Someone who takes Wendy Malick or Wayne Pacelle up on their infomercial request for "just $19 dollars a month" will pay HSUS $228 over the course of a year. Of that, just $1.03 will reach a pet shelter.

Change Look

Forum Default

Permanently