Author Topic: we must save the silk worm from this torture  (Read 2416 times)

Offline red_dragon_girl_69

• Do not invoke the wrath of the Dragon.
  • Old Timer
we must save the silk worm from this torture
« on: February 24, 2006, 11:11 pm »
Silk Production Causes Painful Death for Insects
The so-called “silkworm” is actually a domesticated insect who, in nature, goes through the same stages of metamorphosis—egg, larva, pupae, and adult—that all moths do.(6) Silk is derived from the cocoons of larvae, so most of the insects raised by the industry don’t live past the pupae stage, as they are steamed or gassed alive in their cocoons.(7) Approximately 3,000 silkworms die to make every pound of silk.(8)

Pharmaceutical companies have taken an interest in these insects, too, because they are perceived as inexpensive and easy to raise and can be genetically engineered to produce silk that contains human collagen.(9) Silkworms have also been transgenically modified to spin fluorescent-colored silk.(10)

The military and medical communities have been testing on spiders, hoping to harness the strength and flexibility of spider silk into suture thread and to create a fabric that could replace Kevlar.(11) If kept together in captivity, however, spiders succumb to stress-induced cannibalism, and 400 spiders are needed to spin enough silk to create one square yard of cloth, so farming spiders has not been a profitable venture.(12) Instead, scientists are experimenting on goats, cows, and hamsters by inserting spider-silk genes into their cells in an attempt to create proteins similar to those of spider silk.(13) Transgenic cloned goats, for example, produce milk that contains silk proteins, which have been used in fibers sold under the name “BioSteel.”(14,15) The company’s president says that he intends to keep a herd of “several thousand animals” to generate the silk.(16) Nonmilitary goods that can be made from the silk thread include sutures and fishing line.(17)

:55: :55: :55: :55:

"do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste very good with ketchup."

"do not enter a battle of wits unarmed."

"never play leap-frog with a unicorn."

petastinks

Re: we must save the silk worm from this torture
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:15 pm »
 :92: :96:

Oh no not spieders (lol). Who really cares about spiders?

Offline kevthebassman

• The Deer Slayer
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:22 pm »
Awesome!  I wonder where I can get some of that fishing line they're talking about, I'd like to give that a try.

Mmmmmmm, tasty.

Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776:
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Offline Kerry

• What now bitch?
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:23 pm »
painful deaths? I highly doubt it.

Ilikebeefjerky

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:23 pm »
You know, The numbers inside the parenthesis usually mean that there is a source. But I've come to expect nothing less from Peta and people who share their ideals.

In other news, Doctor Josef Megele performed gruesome medical experiments on as few as 200 people which inclused, but was not limited to: exploding lungs, infecting with bio-hazardous diseases, lethal injection of phenol, dye injection into the eyes, limb severing and organ transplant with no painkillers. But who cares? Silkworms are being used to make stuff.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 11:31 pm »
In other news, Doctor Josef Megele performed gruesome medical experiments on as few as 200 people which inclused, but was not limited to: exploding lungs, infecting with bio-hazardous diseases, lethal injection of phenol, dye injection into the eyes, limb severing and organ transplant with no painkillers. But who cares? Silkworms are being used to make stuff.

yeah, silk worm deaths are so much worse than that. (insert eyeroll) psshh. who cares about a worm, and as far as spiders, i make my husband smush them if they come anywhere near me, so its no big loss if they get "slaughtered"
"do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste very good with ketchup."

Ilikebeefjerky

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 11:33 pm »
Good. Death to the spiders. For a moment, I thought you were in cahoots with peta. If there is one thing I can't stand for is cahoots.

dallin

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 11:33 pm »
theres nothing i hate more than piders

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 11:44 pm »
no, im not in cahoot with the petards hence the  :55: :55: :55: at the end of my original post

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 11:46 pm »
think silk worms have it bad, what about bees?

Manipulating Nature
Profiting from honey requires the manipulation and exploitation of the insects’ desire to live and protect their hive. Like other factory-farmed animals, honeybees are victims of unnatural living conditions, genetic manipulation, and stressful transportation.

The familiar white box that serves as a beehive has been around since the mid-1850s and was created so that beekeepers could move the hives from place to place. The New York Times reported that bees have been “moved from shapes that accommodated their own geometry to flat-topped tenements, sentenced to life in file cabinets.”(19)

Since “swarming” (the division of the hive upon the birth of a new queen) can cause a decline in honey production, beekeepers do what they can to prevent it, including clipping the wings of a new queen, killing and replacing an older queen after just one or two years, or confining a queen who is trying to begin a swarm.(20, 21) There are also commercial “queen rearers” who raise and mail about a million queen bees a year all over North America. Many of the animals die in transit.(22) Queens are artificially inseminated using drones, who are killed in the process.(23) Commercial beekeepers also “trick” queens into laying more eggs by adding wax cells to the hive that are larger than those that worker bees would normally build.(24)

Some farmers kill all the bees in the fall because it’s easier than winterizing the hives. One beekeeper admits that one of his friends “uses canisters of cyanide gas to exterminate 6,000 colonies of bees at the conclusion of the production season. It is the most economical way to run his operation.”(25) Each hive that is left to hibernate through the winter needs at least 50 pounds of honey to survive, and according to one entomologist, many bees succumb to improper care, starvation, weakness, and other problems during the winter.(26)

Honeybee populations have declined by as much as 50 percent since the 1980s, partly because of parasitic mites.(27) BeeCulture magazine reports that beekeepers are notorious for contributing to the spread of disease: “Beekeepers move infected combs from diseased colonies to healthy colonies, fail to recognize or treat disease, purchase old infected equipment, keep colonies too close together, [and] leave dead colonies in apiaries.”(28) Artificial diets, provided because farmers take the honey that bees would normally eat, leave bees susceptible to sickness and attack from other insects.(29) When diseases are detected, beekeepers are advised to “destroy the colony and burn the equipment,” which can mean burning or gassing the bees to death.(30)

Since healthy honeybees are becoming harder and harder to find, farmers have resorted to trucking hives across the country. When asked to examine 2,000 beehives rented by a New Jersey cranberry farmer, retired apiary inspectors found “about 500 colonies with equipment in such bad shape that [it] would not even qualify as junk … mice nests, old feeders full of comb, rotten hive with bees coming out from all over.” The hives were also made of wood that was labeled as having been treated with arsenic and was, therefore, unsuitable for beehives.(31)

Ilikebeefjerky

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 11:54 pm »
Sorry, I'm still in high-school. I misinterpreted the head smashing for the normal angst of a Peta member.

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 11:56 pm »
Sorry, I'm still in high-school. I misinterpreted the head smashing for the normal angst of a Peta member

thats quite alright. i have never really agreed with peta. and i will never support their "cause"

Offline Kerry

• What now bitch?
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 10:22 am »
they must not know much about beekeeping either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beekeeping

Medium Rare

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 06:56 pm »
So silkworm death is bad, but the insects that die for their food, that's ok.

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 08:09 pm »
So silkworm death is bad, but the insects that die for their food, that's ok.

dont fprget all the happy woodland friends who meet their maker because they were run over by the harvesting machines (sorry, not up on farm terms), or the ones killed to keep them out of the silos, and during the proccessing of food. fda alows for a certain amount of bugs and unintentional animal parts in all processed foods.

* H$U$

Thinking of donating to H$U$?

Someone who takes Wendy Malick or Wayne Pacelle up on their infomercial request for "just $19 dollars a month" will pay HSUS $228 over the course of a year. Of that, just $1.03 will reach a pet shelter.

Change Look

Forum Default

Permanently