Author Topic: KONY 2012  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Fenris

• Protecting animals from PeTA since 1997.
  • Old Timer
  • Every day is Halloween.
KONY 2012
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:13 am »
Today my feed has EXPLODED with this Kony 2012 stuff. Who is Kony? He’s a murderer that runs an organization in Africa, the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA),   which kidnaps kids and kills people. The response to this is that we   should fight back against him and help save Uganda from the child   kidnapper and family murderer. Here’s how to stop him: all you have to   do is just donate a few dollars to… Wait a minute!
Invisible Children Scam height=306
How the hell are people smart enough to avoid a Craigslist scam   asking to help a Nigerian Prince recover his riches, but someone makes a   thirty minute high-production video on YouTube and suddenly: SEND ALL   THE MONEY! Immediately a few red flags came up on Kony 2012 and most of   them were solved in just a few minutes of Google searching and digging.
Is Joseph Kony Even In Uganda?
  Nope. Uganda is in a phase of rebuilding. The Kony 2012 video and   Invisible Children make it seem that Joseph Kony is a monster ravaging   through Northern Uganda as if he were Godzilla stomping through Tokyo.   However, a quick fact check has pointed me to this: On July 8th, 2005,   the International Criminal Court (ICC) named Joseph Kony the number one   criminal in the world because of his crimes in Uganda. Shortly after the   ICC indicted Kony, he fled Uganda and officially has been in hiding   since 2006 (Source).   Basically, he has since been hiding in a hole like Saddam Hussein and   has approximately as much power as Saddam Hussein had while he was   living in his hole, next to none. Hold that thought for later.
In short: I’ve just learned that this company “Invisible Children   Inc” is lying. They’re making money off a man and a problem based on our   ignorance.

Who Are Invisible Children?
  Invisible Children is a company that was created by a few college   students who travelled to Uganda and made a movie about it. They didn’t   travel there looking for a story, they had to make one up as they went.   They can be best described in this quote: “Invisible Children is too   late. It has taught us that MTV type media can get university students   interested in a world crisis, the problem is it took too much time.   Night commuting, outlined as one of the major problems in northern   Uganda by the film, is practically non-existent now. Why? Peace is   coming to the region.” (Source).   I’ve also learned that Invisible Children Inc isn’t even accredited by   the Better Business Bureau. Susan G. Komen has come under fire for   recent decisions that have been made and because their CEO makes   millions, regardless they’re accredited because they’re a legitimate   charity that helps millions of women. Invisible Children Inc is not   accredited, which tells me they may not be a real charity, and that’s a   huge red flag.
A little digging has shown me that they are in fact a charity   organization and cannot profit, which is nice, except that the   organization’s three filmmakers and co-founders receive a combined pay   of $223,922 and in addition, Invisible Children holds the following   assets: computer equipment ($751,000), transportation equipment   ($288,762), video and camera equipment ($177,769), and furniture and   fixtures ($45,361). (Source 1)(Source 2).   The first source tells us that Invisible Children is very good with   their money: Everything checks out and is accounted for, however, they   score very low in their Accountability and Transparency. Basically that   means they handle their money well, but they may not be doing what we   think they should be doing with their money.
In short: Invisible Children has already lied about Joseph Kony being   the Godzilla of Uganda, so my belief is that the executives and   filmmakers at Invisible Children continue to make movies that are a few   years too late and rely on college students and younger people to fund   their travels around the world so that each of them can live a very   moderate life averaging a little over $80,000/year. In the process,   they’ve accrued a great deal of funds to build their movie making and   documentary system and in return, all they have to do is build a few   schools and buy clothes for people in Uganda with the extra money so not   to make it look like it’s a giant scheme.
Are There Bigger Problems Facing Africa?
  Yes, lots. The issue with what seems like a vast majority of people   these days is that they assume killing the bad guy will lead to   prosperity. Egypt, Syria, Afghanistan, and Iraq have all lost their   vicious leaders and we expected them to be fixed by now. Egypt is in a   rebuilding phase, Syria is a dump, Afghanistan is still in war, and Iraq   is a dump. Saddam Hussein was tried and given capital punishment in   2006: Iraq is still rebuilding from that (hold this thought too). Uganda   is in the process of rebuilding which involves needing supplies for   schools, education, economy, clean water, heath care and a strong   organized government. The people of Uganda need to unite and come   together to form one peaceful community, but that is going to take many   many years.
In short: Uganda has a lot more than 99 problems and they can’t be   solved overnight, and especially not with the arrest and/or   assassination of Joseph Kony.
Conclusion:
  Still holding those Saddam Hussein thoughts from earlier? Here   everything will make sense: Joseph Kony left Uganda and is effectively   hiding with no power since 2006 and Uganda has been rebuilding since.   This means Joseph Kony is basically Uganda’s Saddam Hussein (Saddam   hasn’t been in power in Iraq since his death in 2006). Watch what   happens when I translate Uganda to have it make sense to uninformed   Americans: Invisible Children is telling us that we should make Joseph Kony Saddam Hussein famous in 2012, because Joseph Kony Saddam Hussein is running rampant in Uganda   Iraq and is killing innocent children. Saddam Hussein has been dead   since 2006, Joseph Kony has been (pretty much) dead since 2006.
Invisible Children is trying to make money from our ignorance based   solely on the fact that they’re a relatively small organization and have   avoided major public backlash and scrutiny for lying directly to us by   flying just under the media radar. However, with this new Kony 2012   effort: I can almost see the future say with confidence that Invisible   Children is going to come under major fire for exaggerating the facts   and manipulating people in their course for making money.
Do not trust Invisible Children with your money. It’s pretty easy to   see that there’s a large amount of evidence pointing to this company   being a money making scheme by a few smart men who have been able to   dance around the law and media scrutiny.
Love,
  Joe

http://blog.joerenken.com/2012/03/07/invisible-children-and-kony-2012-exposed/

A lot of the stuff they said about this "charity" can be said about PeTA. You just need to change a few words and names.
"The greatest tragedy of mankind is the wise are always so full of doubt while the foolish are so damned sure of themselves" - Anonymous

God said he would rid the world of evil. Odin said he would rid the world of Frost Giants. There are no Frost Giants. Who do you believe in?

Garb0nz0

Re: KONY 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:14 am »
I thought KONY was going to be Kiss Off New York.

Offline Pollock

• PS Official Whatever
  • Animal Welfare Advocate
  • Am I on pitch?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:17 pm »
I rarely donate to a charity that I haven't checked out. I'm ALWAYS suspicious automatically of anything on the web, or sent to me in email that involves requesting donations.

Anyone with half a fart of a brain should be too
Animals are animals, they are not little people in fur coats.

Incests like all Sweets.

Offline TheGangler

• Trust me...
  • Old Timer
    • fightonthe.net
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38 pm »
I rarely donate to a charity that I haven't checked out. I'm ALWAYS suspicious automatically of anything on the web, or sent to me in email that involves requesting donations.

Agreed.

"I honestly think that it automatically hurts me if I said that I supported the war in Iraq and I support the troops. That automatically kills me for getting a bunch of movies, a bunch of TV shows. People don't want to hear from me."

-Drew Carey

Garb0nz0

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:38 pm »

Agreed.

Offline Winsor

• Global Moderator
  • Winsor's Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:41 pm »
How can you make a message fall to crap? By doing this:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/16/10721745-report-invisible-children-co-founder-detained-by-police-charity-made-kony-2012-video

Report: Invisible Children co-founder detained by police; charity made 'KONY 2012' video
By NBC News, msnbc.com staff and news services

Updated 5:50 p.m. ET: SAN DIEGO – A co-founder of Invisible Children, the group behind the “Kony 2012” video on alleged atrocities by an African warlord, was detained after witnesses reported a man masturbating and acting strangely, NBCSanDiego.com reported.

Rest in link.
"If you necro one more thread, I will shit on your lawn."

Offline ellie mae

• wanna wrassle?
  • Global Moderator
  • i rule my world.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:28 pm »
i started to watch a link to this shit a week or so ago.  then i realised, this kid you're talking about is voting age now aint he?  then i stopped and thought, wait a minute, this is in uganda, not to be a bitch, but why do i care?  it's fucking uganda...  THEN i realised ya know, a couple of lil kids were abducted from a county not 30 minutes away from me the very morning of the day i clicked on that crap, they were ages 3 and 5 i think. 

why the FUCK do i care about shit that happened half and again a globe away from me over 6 years ago?  when i could try giving a shit locally, and i dont intend to give that much of a shit locally.  the guy who did the abducting was described as 6'7".  unless he comes to my door, or the shooting range, i cant do much to help guys...

so yeah, why do i care about uganda again? 
so i realised i had only wasted about 15 minutes of my life, the whole link thing i was watching was 30, and "my name is earl" was on, so i watched earl instead.
this has been a public service announcement brought to you by... bonsaikitten

Offline Dirtnap

• Don't trust Whitey.
  • Global Moderator
  • Dirt Nap © ™ ® Sodomite extrordinaire
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:34 pm »
Every time I hear about Kony, I get hungry for chili cheese dogs...

I sold a Cockzilla yesterday.   :D

If animals wanted to have rights they would do what women did and   protest. There is no protesting from the animals, thus they do not want   rights.
Jesus Christ. I am still going do a flying dragon fistfuck you in the face.

Offline Fenris

• Protecting animals from PeTA since 1997.
  • Old Timer
  • Every day is Halloween.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 02:55 pm »
@Zoidberg: Yeah I saw that on Facebook. I mean, I laughed hard at the original Kony article cause I found that it was silly that this has been going on for YEARS, apparently more than 20, and it's just reaching our ears now? There's a 2% chance I would have cared about it more if I would have heard about it earlier, or it would have at least warranted an "awwww, that's really horrible". Now this, I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants.

@Ellie: Same here. I don't really care what was going on in other countries, nor do I donate. If I wanted to help, I'd fly out there myself, with my own money and buy the shit in a major city than go to a tiny village and give everything to the people. This Kony thing is just silly shit that the person was spreading so they could make money off it. Write an article that "exposes" some sort of cruelty, blow it out of proportion, get it tug tug on people's heart strings, money will be made! Wait... maybe I should take that up as a career... it might actually get me more money than my art work does.

@Dirtnap: You just made me hungry for chili cheese dogs... and now, I will be thinking of that too.
"The greatest tragedy of mankind is the wise are always so full of doubt while the foolish are so damned sure of themselves" - Anonymous

God said he would rid the world of evil. Odin said he would rid the world of Frost Giants. There are no Frost Giants. Who do you believe in?

Offline Donatien Alphonse François

• Your local unlucky schmuck
  • Get a Life Club
  • S'up?
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46 am »

Offline Acer

• No need for a title.
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:52 am »
i started to watch a link to this shit a week or so ago.  then i realised, this kid you're talking about is voting age now aint he?  then i stopped and thought, wait a minute, this is in uganda, not to be a bitch, but why do i care?  it's fucking uganda...  THEN i realised ya know, a couple of lil kids were abducted from a county not 30 minutes away from me the very morning of the day i clicked on that crap, they were ages 3 and 5 i think. 

why the FUCK do i care about shit that happened half and again a globe away from me over 6 years ago?  when i could try giving a shit locally, and i dont intend to give that much of a shit locally.  the guy who did the abducting was described as 6'7".  unless he comes to my door, or the shooting range, i cant do much to help guys...

so yeah, why do i care about uganda again? 
so i realised i had only wasted about 15 minutes of my life, the whole link thing i was watching was 30, and "my name is earl" was on, so i watched earl instead.

^^This.

The idea sounds selfish and insensitive, but this is one of the biggest problems with America.  We're so hard set on helping everyone else in the world that we turn a blind eye to what's wrong right in front of us.  While it's a nice gesture, it's ignorant to assume you can make someone else's life better when you won't even help yourself.
The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. — Robert A. Heinlein

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are not.  Plato

Offline Dirtnap

• Don't trust Whitey.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38 pm »
I say we slip Joseph Kony into the 2012 election, he's already got the slogan, "KONY 2012"

If animals wanted to have rights they would do what women did and   protest. There is no protesting from the animals, thus they do not want   rights.

Garb0nz0

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55 pm »

Offline hatch38

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 08:00 pm »
Apparently Kony 2012 is a covert military operation.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO73Ese25Y&amp;list=PLAA7E914277ABF6FE&amp;index=30&amp;feature=plpp_video" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO73Ese25Y&amp;list=PLAA7E914277ABF6FE&amp;index=30&amp;feature=plpp_video</a>

KONY 2012, Invisible Children's Pro-AFRICOM and Museveni Propaganda

03-08-12

Invisible Children's goals initially may have been to publicize the plight of children caught in Uganda's decades-long conflicts; lately, IC has been acting as apologists for General Yoweri K. Museveni's dictatorship and the U.S. goal to impose AFRICOM (the U.S. Africa Military Command) on Africa.

IC has produced a brilliant film that's making the global rounds on Facebook

It's a classic as propaganda pieces come. The short but overwhelmingly powerful film uses all the best tear-jerk techniques. In the end, the film denounces Joseph Kony, the leader of the brutal Lord's Resistance Army, while giving the impression that Museveni's dictatorship and his brutal military, which was found liable for war crimes in Democratic Republic of Congo by the International Court of Justice, has nothing to do with the atrocities committed against children in Uganda. It also doesn't inform viewers that Museveni abducted thousands of child soldiers to win his insurgency in Uganda in 1986, launching the pattern of child soldier recruitment all over Africa.

In fact, Kony's insurgency against Museveni was launched later, meaning he too learned child soldier-abductions from Museveni.

Look at the way Invisible Children exploits American children in the beginning of their documentary; they then transplant the audience to Uganda, where again they take advantage of Ugandan children, who are the victims of both the LRA and the Ugandan government's army.

The imagery are powerful. Dr. Joseph Goebbels' and Leni Riefenstahl would have been proud of this cinematic coup by Invisible Children.

The rest here: http://blackstarnews.com/news/135/ARTICLE/8007/2012-03-08.html

United States Africa Command

The United States Africa Command (USAFRICOM or AFRICOM) is one of nine Unified Combatant Commands of the United States Armed Forces, headquartered at Kelley Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany. It is responsible for U.S. military operations and military relations with 53 African nations – an area of responsibility covering all of Africa except Egypt.

The Combatant Commander of U.S. Africa Command reports to the Secretary of Defense, who in turn reports to the President of the United States. In individual countries, U.S. Ambassadors continue to be the President's personal representatives in diplomatic relations with host nations.[5]

The rest here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Africa_Command
PeTA (Philosophy exhibiting Testicular Absence)—Grow a pair and protect your rights!

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happened, you can bet it was planned that way."
Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1882-1945), 32nd US President

"I never give them hell....I just tell the truth and they think it's hell". - Harry Truman

Offline Dirtnap

• Don't trust Whitey.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18 pm »
I don't honestly know much about this Kony guy, but looking at the other candidates, I'd vote for him

* H$U$

Thinking of donating to H$U$?

Someone who takes Wendy Malick or Wayne Pacelle up on their infomercial request for "just $19 dollars a month" will pay HSUS $228 over the course of a year. Of that, just $1.03 will reach a pet shelter.

Change Look

Forum Default

Permanently