Author Topic: I`m shocked at how many children are run over in their own driveways  (Read 3054 times)

Offline doglady

• Exploiting animals since 1954
  • peta-sucks.com janitor
  • P.E.T.A. Phony Exasperating Tiresome Assholes
by their own parents.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyvtH4X6t5U&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyvtH4X6t5U&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

More Children Run Over at Home
About 50 children are run over every week

Updated: Wednesday, 07 Apr 2010, 10:24 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 07 Apr 2010, 10:24 PM CDT

MINNEAPOLIS - Each year, thousands of children are backed over by cars in their driveway or parking lots.

According to safety experts, driveways are becoming an increasingly dangerous place. The nonprofit safety organization KidsandCars.org says statistics show on average 50 children are run over by vehicles every week. 48 of those children go to emergencies room with injuries, and two die.

Erin Peterson with the Minnesota Safety Council says the statistic is alarming. “Nationally about 2, 000 are injured, about 100 are killed each year,” says Peterson.

Peterson uses a rollout mat to demonstrate the blind zone behind various models of cars, trucks, vans and SUVs. “Minivans and trucks actually have the largest blind zones behind them. Some blind zones can be as high as 60-70 feet behind a vehicle,” says Peterson. “It's an important time to take a few seconds for safety,” says Peterson.

For more information go to www.kidsandcars.org or http://www.minnesotasafetycouncil.org/home.cfm

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/more-children-run-over-at-home-april-7-2010

Never hit your mother with a shovel.  It will leave a dull impression on her mind.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we are taught.”
Baba Dioum

“The natural history programmes you do must cost an awful lot of money and you’re using it to show this sort of thing. It would be much better if you took that money and used it to train lions to eat grass.”
Excerpt from a letter someone wrote to Sir David Attenborough

Save a carrot: Eat a bunny

Offline Winsor

• Global Moderator
  • Winsor's Shadow
I'm not. Unfortunately it happened to my friend's cousin. Father backed up and killed him.
"If you necro one more thread, I will shit on your lawn."

Offline doglady

• Exploiting animals since 1954
  • peta-sucks.com janitor
  • P.E.T.A. Phony Exasperating Tiresome Assholes
Holy bananas, don`t people know where their kids are when they are driving?

I`m sorry to hear that Winsor.
Never hit your mother with a shovel.  It will leave a dull impression on her mind.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we are taught.”
Baba Dioum

“The natural history programmes you do must cost an awful lot of money and you’re using it to show this sort of thing. It would be much better if you took that money and used it to train lions to eat grass.”
Excerpt from a letter someone wrote to Sir David Attenborough

Save a carrot: Eat a bunny

Offline Jakepants

• Old Timer
My ma always told me to get out of the driveway while she was backing out.

Offline Sabre

• Old Timer
  • What could possibly go wrong?
Well you don't want to be run over in some stranger's driveway, that would be awkward.

Offline Vladd

• Theme Queen
  • Srs biznes
    • Facebook
This reminds me of a story where a friend of mine broke his leg probably playing football.  Someone asked what happened and he was like "I was nappin in the driveway and my mom ran over my leg"

And the little Asian gay kid in front of me was like "OHMYGOD ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! THAT'S HORRIBLE!"
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Pollock

• PS Official Whatever
  • Which one am I?
My ma always told me to get out of the driveway while she was backing out.

It's odd how young kids, even if told to get out of the driveway, still gravitate towards the moving vehicle as if by some unseen gravitational pull.
Animals are animals, they are not little people in fur coats.

Incests like all Sweets.

Offline Jakepants

• Old Timer
Guess I realized at a young age that 3000+ lb of vehicle > me then.

Offline Pollock

• PS Official Whatever
  • Which one am I?
My 5 year old hasn't thought that through yet. And I don't want him learning the hard way. Hell, when they're in the 2-4 age range and you're in the front yard with them, you have to watch them closely and make sure they don't run out into the street. Getting run over by a car, or dying are not concepts they understand at that age range.
Animals are animals, they are not little people in fur coats.

Incests like all Sweets.

Offline Bazinga!!

• Stuck in a bad relationship with myself since 1982
  • Global Moderator
  • Backwoods Florida..we're all kinds of messed up
If my mom was going to run me over.. it would not have mattered if I was running across the yard and onto the porch. My ass woulda been part of the lawn ornaments.  :holyshit:

On another note, my son is almost 12. I never had my child unattended outside for any reason. And if I had an adult watching him while I went somewhere, I was very selective on who was left in charge. If I'm paying someone to do something, they should be able to see a large mass of person bounding toward a vehicle. Or AT LEAST notice the child they're watching is MISSING...
Hi, I'm schizophrenic. And so am I.

Offline Conspiracy Bird

• Insert Title Here
  • Old Timer
My mom always checks the review mirror, especially if she knows there are children outside.
And we'll march... along,
With our blindfolds on,
And we'll ride... the rails,
With our pistols drawn,
Can the lord, above, forgive what we've done?
Can we fight to save our souls?

Offline Sabre

• Old Timer
  • What could possibly go wrong?
My mom always checks the review mirror, especially if she knows there are children outside.

If they're close enough, especially in something tall like a SUV, that doesn't really work.

My cousin got run over that way as a kid... ironically, being a SUV it managed to make it easier to hit him and less likely to kill him: it had wider than normal tires, which saved him from having his skull totally caved in.

Offline Angry Dog

• The P-S Complaint Department
  • Animal Welfare Advocate
  • Woof woof, motherfucker
Ewwww. All I"m thinking is "tube of toothpaste"
Animal Rights is like a penis:
It's okay to be proud of it, but don't get all pissy when people don't enjoy having it shoved down their throats

So if a pound of beef takes 3,500 gallons of water, what difference does it make? How many vegetarians drive a car? To make a car (including tires), it takes about 40,000 gallons of fresh water. That's not including the gas it takes to run the car, the electricity to run the gas station, the water used to create the boat that brought your precious oil, the water used to create the pavement you drive on, the destruction of toxic chemicals that went into creating your clothes, and the electricity you use every day to send me stupid emails over the internet. Every year you are directly responsible for the consumption of billions of gallons of water. There are 26 million people suffering preventable brain damage from iodine deficiency, and another 1.5 billion people at risk. Nevermind that, you have animals to save. By driving your cars, you pump billions of tons of poison into the atmosphere and you're slowly killing us all. The computer you use requires 250 watts of electricity, let alone the billions of computers required to keep you on the internet. All consuming energy. All contributing to pollution. Let's just ignore those minor hypocrisies. Someone wants to enjoy a burger and you'll be damned if you're going to let them.
Spud's a terrorist. He supports terrorism
Naturally blunt individual from the country 'Givesnotashitadad"

"Silly Gohan. Animals don't eat people, people eat animals. Silly Gohan"

My gecko isn't a corpsemuncher. Everything she eats is alive :D

* H$U$

Thinking of donating to H$U$?

Someone who takes Wendy Malick or Wayne Pacelle up on their infomercial request for "just $19 dollars a month" will pay HSUS $228 over the course of a year. Of that, just $1.03 will reach a pet shelter.

Change Look

Forum Default

Permanently