Author Topic: PETA kidnapping dogs  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Merlin

• Printer From Hell
  • Gimme ur expensive photo paper! I have teh hungarr
    • MaxHelmberger.Com
PETA kidnapping dogs
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:09 pm »
I've heard a couple reports of PETA or PETA workers actually taking collared dogs or cats from front porches or backyards and euthanizing (or almost euthanizing) them. Has there ever been a real, documented case of this happening?

I'm not talking about getting dogs and cats from shelters and saying that you're going to find them good homes, like Hinkle and Cook did. I'm talking about actually stealing someone's pet and killing it.
If animal rights means completely severing all human-animal contact, than animal rights sucks.

Offline Badattituud

• It is not the critic who counts...
  • Old Timer
  • BA
Re: PETA kidnapping dogs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:41 pm »
(emphasis is mine)

http://www.american-partisan.com/cols/2003/gibson/qtr3/0903.htm
PETA employees and volunteers regularly enter private property to capture animals,    which according to former PETA employees are often times people's pets - someone's    cat out for a midnight stroll or even just sitting in their owner's yard! Car    loads of cats are regularly brought to PETA headquarters by employees and volunteers    whose job it is to 'round them up'. One such volunteer has brought in hundreds    of cats, many wearing tags bearing the name and address of their owner. The    animals are loaded into a small storage shed, where they sometimes sit for several    hours in the heat and cold...awaiting their date with the executioner.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/h/3391-special-report-judge-reminds-peta-that-dognapping-is-a-felony
(yes, CCF - but finding old news articles isn't so easy sometimes)
  [font=&quot]Before the hearing even began, the prosecutor declared that he wouldn’t pursue petty larceny charges related to a radio-tracking collar Benoit removed from the dog before she put it in a PETA-owned van. Benoit’s lawyer now admits that she took the collar off, but tossed it by the side of the road. (PETA has had trouble with littering in the past, as our readers will remember.) The prosecutor also said he won’t press charges against Benoit’s PETA co-worker Carrie Beth Edwards, who now appears to have been a minor player in the alleged dog-napping.[/font]

[font=&quot]One bombshell after another fell during the hearing. Here are just a few: [/font] 
  • [font=&quot]Detectives (and Animal Control officer John Thomas Cooke, who owned the dog) testified that when they stopped Benoit’s van, she lied about having taken the animal. Only after Cooke described the animal in detail did she admit it—saying “Oh … that dog. It’s in the back.”[/font]
  • [font=&quot]Cooke also testified that Benoit lied about the tracking collar, saying “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”[/font]
  • [font=&quot]When Benoit put Cooke’s dog into her PETA-owned van, it was wearing an identification collar with Cooke’s name and cell phone number on it. Its coat was also marked with an identifying number and with Cooke’s initials.[/font]
  • [font=&quot]Criminal defense attorney Stephen Benjamin, speaking for Benoit, admitted that the dog was perfectly healthy when she took it.[/font]
  • [font=&quot]Benjamin added that Benoit and Edwards “did what was, quite frankly, consistent with their training” at PETA.[/font]

I also recall reading a site in which people relayed their own personal stories about (usually unsuccessfully) trying to get their pets back from PeTA.  I wish I could find it now  :cry:
Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of your selfishness. Listen to it carefully.  ~The Messiah's Handbook

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.  ~Robert A. Heinlein

A classic must never die!
I would love to have a bobcat in my backyard. I would leave him big bowls of tofu and other vegan goodies - we would eventually become friends. - David Warwak

Offline Merlin

• Printer From Hell
  • Gimme ur expensive photo paper! I have teh hungarr
    • MaxHelmberger.Com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:57 pm »
God, that's just awful.
If a PETA member tired to steal my dog and euthanize her, I would fucking eat him.
And then sue PETA.
-“did what was, quite frankly, consistent with their training”So, PETA basically trains people to go out and steal peoples' pets?
If animal rights means completely severing all human-animal contact, than animal rights sucks.

Offline Ratsnake

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:13 pm »
  I always knew they kill any animal that is rescued or donated. But am I correct in reading that a card carrying Petard will enter someone's yard without permision and steal a dog or cat?
 I hate them so much I can taste it.
"Extraordinary claims require extaordinary evidence- Carl Sagen

"You don't win friends with salad." - Homer Simpson

Mel

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:37 pm »
  I always knew they kill any animal that is rescued or donated. But am I correct in reading that a card carrying Petard will enter someone's yard without permision and steal a dog or cat?
 I hate them so much I can taste it.

Apparently so - never mind that it IS trespassing, and if you did that in some states, you would be VERY lucky to survive without being shot or killed doing that. Most sane people love their pets as much as they do humans, and WOULD ironically put them at a higher level than an animal liberator thief.

If PETA seriously believes it's better to kidnap and kill an animal that is a pet than save it, then they are more insane than even Camille, and that's saying something.

* H$U$

Thinking of donating to H$U$?

Someone who takes Wendy Malick or Wayne Pacelle up on their infomercial request for "just $19 dollars a month" will pay HSUS $228 over the course of a year. Of that, just $1.03 will reach a pet shelter.

Change Look

Forum Default

Permanently