Author Topic: peta now targeting Popeye's  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Acer

• No need for a title.
  • Old Timer
peta now targeting Popeye's
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:24 am »
For Immediate Release:
December 12, 2006

Matt Prescott 757-622-7382

Atlanta, Ga. -- PETA has submitted a shareholder resolution to Atlanta-based AFC Enterprises—the parent company of Popeye’s Chicken & Biscuits—calling on the company to issue a report on its progress toward a less cruel method of chicken slaughter called "controlled-atmosphere killing" (CAK).

PETA, which owns 220 shares of AFC stock, points out that although several of AFC’s top rivals—including McDonald’s, Denny’s, and CKE Restaurants (the parent company of Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr.)—have all shown concrete movement toward CAK, AFC refuses to move to eliminate what is widely considered to be the worst institutional abuse of animals in North America.

Currently, millions of chickens slaughtered for AFC are still conscious when their throats are slit, and many are scalded to death in defeathering tanks while they are still conscious. With CAK, chickens are "put to sleep" quickly and painlessly. In addition to being less cruel, CAK would pay for itself in savings within about 18 months.

"CAK is better for food safety and carcass quality, will decrease worker injuries and workers compensation claims, and will improve animal welfare," says PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich. "If AFC falls behind its competitors on improving chicken slaughter, it’s very likely that its stock price will take a beating."
http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=9325

"If AFC falls behind its competitors on improving chicken slaughter, it’s very likely that its stock price will take a beating."
:86:
Yeah, just at look what it did for KFC.
The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. — Robert A. Heinlein

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are not.  Plato

Offline sko

• Swinologist
  • Old Timer
  • Do these shoes make me look fat?
Re: peta now targeting Popeye's
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 07:37 am »
Dumbasses, all these places buy their chicken from the same suppliers.
"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." 

Louis D. Brandeis

Offline Winsor

• Global Moderator
  • Winsor's Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 09:53 am »

No they don't. Popeye's is not connected to YUM like KFC. Popeye's is linked with AFC Enterprises, I think.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:57 am by Winsor's Shadow »
"If you necro one more thread, I will shit on your lawn."

LBJ

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 10:32 am »
just learned about this whole CAK thing reading on this board.

2 questions :
though i have my doubts... 
is it true most chickens are not really dead b4 being "boiled"?
also, would this CAK method really be cheaper in the long run?

as for me, i don't really mind cooking an animal that's not 100% dead as long its drunk (an actual cooking technique in some countries) or unconscious.  don't bother me much.
does it bother any ppl here?

i remember seeing on some TV show, a sushi master in Japan cutting the meat off a fish, but the fish still had its bones and most of its organs intact.  it even kept swimming for a while when they put it back in the tank.
cool
and in some sushi restaurants in japan and korea, though not as masterful, when u order sashimi, they bring all the stuff on a plate, on top of what's left of the fish, like the head-bone-tail.  this is to show the freshness of the fish.
and sometimes u even see the head still kinda moving
cool

just curious

Offline Winsor

• Global Moderator
  • Winsor's Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 10:47 am »
just learned about this whole CAK thing reading on this board.

2 questions :
though i have my doubts... 
is it true most chickens are not really dead b4 being "boiled"?

Most of the time, yes. When you see movement or thrashing, most likely from the nerves still going after the throat is slit or the head is cut off. If you were to chop off a chicken's head and tossed it away (blood spurting is the reason why you toss it), that chicken will start thrashing and sometimes actually run. But it's dead.

and in some sushi restaurants in japan and korea, though not as masterful, when u order sashimi, they bring all the stuff on a plate, on top of what's left of the fish, like the head-bone-tail.  this is to show the freshness of the fish.
and sometimes u even see the head still kinda moving
cool

just curious

The fish is dead and it's all nerves. For example, if you were to touch or poke a human corpse in certain parts of the body, the eyes can pop open or a body part moves. I've heard of people who have done autopsies on the dead with the person's face twitching or eyes or mouth moving.
"If you necro one more thread, I will shit on your lawn."

Offline PeTArd Trapper

• Old Timer
  • Save a groundhog, shoot a PeTArd...
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 04:24 pm »
I onced skinned a horse that an equine vet had just put down and pronounced dead. The horse had a weird coat and the lady who had the horse wanted the skin. The horse was old and had been sick a while and wasn't getting better, so she sceduled the vet to euth the horse and have me show up at the same time. The horse had all these little twitches as I skinned it.

I have not noticed any sort of twitching or movement when skinning fur animals, but they are all dead hours before I skin and in partial rigor mortis.  However a raccoon shot in the head right into the brain will thrash about for about 20 seconds afterwards. It is unconcious the milisecond the bullet goes through, and is dead at the end of the thrashing.

"Bodymore, Murderland" ( "The Wire")

Offline Bill C

• Warzone
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 04:58 pm »
Well at they are suggesting a tried and true method of killing.

I believe it was Hitler who invented "controlled-atmosphere killing" they were called gas chambers.

PeTA declares it is the most cruel way to kill a dog or cat, but then they give their Person Of the Year Award to Dr. Nigel Binns who invented a "controlled atmospheres gas chamber" for mice, it kills with CO gas, most people automatically think CO2 which is slow, but generally painless.

CO on the other hand is literally suffocating to death through oxygen deprivation, The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, as well as muscle spasm, seizures, panic and confusion. High levels of CO ingestion can cause loss of consciousness and death 

The new wave mouse killer does e-mail you when its killed the mouse though.

http://www.peta.org/campaigns/2005poty.asp
the wise man looks into space and does not regard the small as too little, nor the great as too big; for he knows there are no limits to dimensions. Lao-tse

Offline Sally1230

• Of course I am!
  • Internet Addict
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 05:06 pm »
WTF!?! I swear, PETA never fails to shock me. Serious, I should have learned. And the mouse trap shows you where the mouse was found so you can seal up holes? A mouse has to take the fall for all the other mice, I guess.

Offline sko

• Swinologist
  • Old Timer
  • Do these shoes make me look fat?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 06:27 pm »

No they don't. Popeye's is not connected to YUM like KFC. Popeye's is linked with AFC Enterprises, I think.

YUM and AFC are the parent companies of KFC and Popeyes- I was referring to the suppliers of the chicken- Tyson, Pilgrim's Pride, etc.
Tyson is one of the largest suppliers of chicken to the fast food industry.
"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." 

Louis D. Brandeis

Offline Cmarbagoi

• wtfedit
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 06:47 pm »
They have the tastiest biscuits.

Offline megman13

• Resident fish and aquarium expert and Darth Aspie
  • Get a Life Club
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 06:50 pm »

-KFC doesn't get their chickens from YUM, they get them from Tyson and Pilgrim's Pride. At a cursory glane, Popeyes appears to have several suppliers. I'd be willing to wager that either Tyson or Pilgrim's Pride are among them.
READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Psh, who isn't ready to have sex with Megman?

It would be a tragic mistake if even a small section of the Animal Liberation movement were to attempt to achieve its objectives by hurting people
-Peter Singer, founder of the modern AR movement.

Mitglied Der  NGDAP=Nationalgrammarist Deutsche Arbeiterpartei

Offline Acer

• No need for a title.
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 07:17 pm »
I onced skinned a horse that an equine vet had just put down and pronounced dead. The horse had a weird coat and the lady who had the horse wanted the skin. The horse was old and had been sick a while and wasn't getting better, so she sceduled the vet to euth the horse and have me show up at the same time. The horse had all these little twitches as I skinned it.

I have not noticed any sort of twitching or movement when skinning fur animals, but they are all dead hours before I skin and in partial rigor mortis.  However a raccoon shot in the head right into the brain will thrash about for about 20 seconds afterwards. It is unconcious the milisecond the bullet goes through, and is dead at the end of the thrashing.

It's also true that if you head shoot a deer or antelope (possibly other animals, but I've only experienced this with deer and antelope) and gut it out soon enough, the heart keeps beating for several minutes, even after it's been removed from the rest of the body and organs.
The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. — Robert A. Heinlein

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are not.  Plato

Offline Makyui

• Head Chef on the S.S. Diarrhoea
  • Old Timer
  • I -- am that is, my sword shall wield for me
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 11:26 pm »
Yup. Back when I shot rats on my neighbor's farm, I either missed them completely or killed them instantly with a shot to the head. One in particular had the BB enter its ear and exit the other side of its head between the ear and the eye, obliterating the brain, but it still thrashed around violently for a good thirty seconds. Sometimes it kicked itself several inches into the air.

But it wasn't alive at all. How could it be without a brain?

I'd cut open a fish that was freshly caught, but dead, and I found its heart beating. I cut it out and put it on the end of my finger, but it still beat.

Movements can make things appear to be alive, but that doesn't mean they are.
Q: How many Pagans does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Six. One to change it and five to sit around and complain that light bulbs never burned out before those damned Christians came along.

If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be Ravens.

Offline AHardDaysNight

• Old Timer
  • Don't touch my cookies!!
    • YurBurdCanSing
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 03:11 pm »
Even humans move after they are dead. Most of the time from rigor but they do move.
They shit themselves, "sit up", even "breathe".
Would scare the fuck out of me.

Oh, and I like Popeyes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:14 pm by AHardDaysNight »
My brother tried to fuck me for 9 dollars today.  I guess that shows how much I'm worth.

Offline Cmarbagoi

• wtfedit
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 08:52 pm »
In honor of PeTA, I had Popeye's last night.  It was the first night of hannukah, so we had fried chicken and latkes.

* H$U$

Thinking of donating to H$U$?

Someone who takes Wendy Malick or Wayne Pacelle up on their infomercial request for "just $19 dollars a month" will pay HSUS $228 over the course of a year. Of that, just $1.03 will reach a pet shelter.

Change Look

Forum Default

Permanently